- This article is based on the training materials by Brian Childs and MOZ.
The course looks in detail at the peculiarities of local search engine optimization and the factors that affect the position in search results.
The information is adapted to Russian specifics.
The concept of local search optimization
- Local SEO is a way to rank resources in search results, which takes into account the geographical location of the object. It looks as follows:
- When you enter a query, a local pack with information about stores, cafes, salons, and businesses is displayed on the screen.
The geographical reference is taken into account, i.e. the city of Pushkino in the example.
- The map is interactive. When you click on it and zoom out the number of companies that provide the services you are looking for increases.
Registration in Google my business
- You need to have an account in Google my business service to manage your business data displayed in the Local Pack.
Features of the service:
- When registering, the user enters information about the company;
If necessary, the data can be changed at any time;
After registration it is necessary to pass the procedure of verification of the company.
- After registration is complete, the user has access to the tools to manage the company card.
Each of them is described in detail in Google Help.
- To get into the local pack, a company must have a physical address and specify ways of direct communication with clients.
Otherwise you can forget about effective local promotion.
- Google is not the only mapping service used for local search. 2Gis and Yandex.Maps are also popular in Russia,
and the principles of working with them are similar.
What factors influence local ranking
- The position of a company card in search results depends primarily on the remoteness of the store from the physical location of the user.
But in the allocation of positions other factors are also taken into account which have a different effect on ranking.
The main types are general local signals and traditional SEO signals.